Updating the firmware
Use this information to update the system firmware.
- Some cluster solutions require specific code levels or coordinated code updates. If the device is part of a cluster solution, verify that the latest level of code is supported for the cluster solution before you update the code.
- Before you update the firmware, be sure to back up any data that is stored in the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), in case any of the TPM characteristics are changed by the new firmware. For instructions, see your encryption software documentation.
- Installing the wrong firmware or device-driver update might cause the server to malfunction. Before you install a firmware or device-driver update, read any readme and change history files that are provided with the downloaded update. These files contain important information about the update and the procedure for installing the update, including any special procedure for updating from an early firmware or device-driver version to the latest version.
You can install code updates that are packaged as an UpdateXpress System Pack or UpdateXpress CD image. An UpdateXpress System Pack contains an integration-tested bundle of online firmware and device-driver updates for your server. Use UpdateXpress System Pack Installer to acquire and apply UpdateXpress System Packs and individual firmware and device-driver updates. For additional information and to download the UpdateXpress System Pack Installer, go to the ToolsCenter for System x and BladeCenter at the Lenovo ToolsCenter website and click UpdateXpress System Pack Installer.
When you click an update, an information page is displayed, including a list of the problems that the update fixes. Review this list for your specific problem; however, even if your problem is not listed, installing the update might solve the problem.
Be sure to separately install any listed critical updates that have release dates that are later than the release date of the UpdateXpress System Pack or UpdateXpress image.
The firmware for the server is periodically updated and is available for download on the Lenovo website. To check for the latest level of firmware, such as the UEFI firmware, device drivers, and Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) firmware, go to the Fix Central website.
Download the latest firmware for the server; then, install the firmware, using the instructions that are included with the downloaded files.
When you replace a device in the server, you might have to update the firmware that is stored in memory on the device or restore the pre-existing firmware from a CD or DVD image.
- UEFI firmware is stored in ROM on the system board.
- IMM2 firmware is stored in ROM on the system board.
- Ethernet firmware is stored in ROM on the Ethernet controller and on the system board.
- ServeRAID firmware is stored in ROM on the system board and the RAID adapter (if one is installed).
- SAS/SATA firmware is stored in ROM on the SAS/SATA controller on the system board.