Remove a fan
Use this information to remove a fan.
About this task
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
To avoid personal injury, disconnect the fan cables before removing the fan from the device.
Hazardous moving fan blades nearby. Keep fingers and other body parts away.
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
If the server is installed in a rack, remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the air baffle. See Remove the air baffle.
- Remove the fan.Figure 1. Fan removal
- Press and hold the fan cable latch.
- Disconnect the cable from the connector.
- Lift the fan out from the fan cage.
After you finish
Install a replacement unit. See Install a fan.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.