Remove a memory module
Use this information to remove a memory module.
About this task
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
If the server is installed in a rack, remove the server from the rack.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. In addition to referring to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory-module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
- Prepare the server:
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the air baffle when removing the memory module from slot 4. This provides more space for the removal. See Remove the air baffle.
- Locate the memory module slot. Determine which memory module you want to remove from the server.Figure 1. Memory module slots location
- Open the retaining clips on each end of the memory module slot.Figure 2. Opening retaining clipsAttention
To avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, handle the clips gently.
If necessary, you can use a pointed tool to open the retaining clips due to space constraints. Pencils are not recommended as a tool as they may not be strong enough.
- Place the tip of the tool in the recess on the top of the retaining clip.
- Carefully rotate the retaining clip away from the memory module slot.
- Remove the memory module.Figure 3. Memory module removal
- Make sure that both retaining clips are in the fully-open position.
- Grasp the memory module at both ends and carefully lift it out of the slot.
After you finish
Install a replacement of memory module if it is needed. See Install a memory module.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.