Remove the CMOS battery (CR2032)
Use this information to remove the CMOS battery.
About this task
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables. See Power off the server.
If the server is installed in a rack, remove the server from the rack.
Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you replace the battery, you must adhere to the following instructions.
If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
After you replace the battery, you must reconfigure the solution and reset the system date and time.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Locate the CMOS battery on the system board. See System-board connectors.
- Remove the CMOS battery.Figure 1. CMOS battery removalAttentionDo not use excessive force to tilt or push the battery, it might damage the socket.
- Press the battery clip in the direction as shown.
- Carefully tilt and lift CMOS battery out of the socket.
After you finish
Install a replacement of CMOS battery. See Install the CMOS battery (CR2032).
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.