Installing a DIMM
Use this information to install a DIMM.
If you are installing an optional device in the server, turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables.
To install a DIMM, complete the following steps.
- Locate the DIMM connectors on the system board. Determine the connectors into which you will install the DIMMs. Install the DIMMs in the sequence shown in the following table.
Table 1. DIMM installation sequence Number of DIMMs Installation sequence (connectors) First pair of DIMMs 1, 3 Second pair of DIMMs 2, 4
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the DIMM connector.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the DIMM connectors, open and close the clips gently.Figure 2. DIMM installation
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the DIMM to any unpainted metal surface on the outside of the server. Then, remove the DIMM from the package.
- Turn the DIMM so that the alignment slot align correctly with the alignment tab.
- Insert the DIMM into the connector by aligning the edges of the DIMM with the slots at the ends of the DIMM connector.
- Firmly press the DIMM straight down into the connector by applying pressure on both ends of the DIMM simultaneously. The retaining clips snap into the locked position when the DIMM is firmly seated in the connector. NoteIf there is a gap between the DIMM and the retaining clips, the DIMM has not been correctly inserted; open the retaining clips, remove the DIMM, and then reinsert it.
If you have other devices to install, do so now. Otherwise, go to Completing the installation.