Installing an adapter
Use this information to install an adapter.
- To confirm that the server supports the adapter that you are installing, see the Lenovo ServerProven website.
- Locate the documentation that comes with the adapter and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this section.
- The adapter slots are on the PCI riser-card assembly. You must first remove the PCI riser-card assembly to access the adapter slots.
- The expansion slots on the PCI riser-card assembly accommodate the various form factors of the non-hot-plug adapters as follows:
- Expansion slot 1: Low-profile with 2U bracket (this slot is dedicated for ServeRAID-10il v2 SAS/SATA controller)
- Expansion slot 2: Full-height, half-lengthFigure 1. PCI riser-card assembly
- The optional ServeRAID-BR10il v2 controller must be installed in expansion slot 1 on the PCI riser-card assembly.
If you are installing an optional device in the server, turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables.
To install an adapter, complete the following steps.
- Remove the PCI riser-card assembly (see Removing the PCI riser-card assembly).
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the adapter to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove the adapter from the package.
- Place the adapter, component side up, on a flat, static-protective surface and set any jumpers or switches as described by the adapter manufacturer, if necessary.
- Follow the cabling instructions, if any come with the adapter. Route the adapter cables before you install the adapter.
- Remove the expansion-slot cover from the PCI riser-card assembly and save for future use.
- Align the connector on the adapter with the connector on the PCI riser-card assembly, then, insert the adapter into the PCI riser-card assembly. Press the edge of the connector firmly into the PCI riser-card assembly. Make sure that the adapter is securely installed in the PCI riser-card assembly.ImportantMake sure that the U-shaped opening in the metal adapter bracket engages the tab on the expansion-slot bracket.Figure 2. Adapter installation
- Install the PCI riser-card assembly (see Replacing the PCI riser-card assembly).AttentionWhen you install an adapter, make sure that the adapter is correctly seated in the PCI riser-card assembly and that the PCI riser-card assembly is securely seated in the riser-card connector on the system board before you turn on the server. An incorrectly seated adapter might cause damage to the system board, the PCI riser-card assembly, or the adapter.
If you have other devices to install, do so now. Otherwise, go to Completing the installation.