The Lenovo XClarity Controller (XCC) is the next generation management controller that replaces the baseboard management controller (BMC) for Lenovo ThinkSystem servers.
It is the follow-on to the Integrated Management Module II (IMM2) service processor that consolidates the service processor functionality, Super I/O, video controller, and remote presence capabilities into a single chip on the server system board. It provides features such as the following:
- Choice of a dedicated or shared Ethernet connection for systems management
- Support for HTML5
- Support for access via XClarity Mobile
- XClarity Provisioning Manager
- Remote configuration using XClarity Essentials or XClarity Controller CLI.
- Capability for applications and tools to access the XClarity Controller either locally or remotely
- Enhanced remote-presence capabilities.
- REST API (Redfish schema) support for additional web-related services and software applications.Note
The XClarity Controller currently supports Redfish Scalable Platforms Management API Specification 1.0.2 and schema 2016.2
- In the XClarity Controller web interface, BMC is used in referring to the XCC.
- A dedicated systems-management network port may not be available on some ThinkSystem servers; for these servers access to the XClarity Controller is only available through a network port that is shared with the server operating system.
- For Flex servers, the Chassis Management Module (CMM) is the primary management module for systems-management functions. Access to the XClarity Controller is available through the network port on the CMM.
This document explains how to use the functions of the XClarity Controller in a ThinkSystem server. The XClarity Controller works with the XClarity Provisioning Manager and UEFI to provide systems-management capability for ThinkSystem servers.
To check for firmware updates, complete the following steps.
- Go to the Lenovo Support Portal.
- Under Support, select Data Center.
- When the content is loaded, select Servers.
- Under Select Series, first select the particular server hardware series, then under Select SubSeries, select the particular server product subseries, and finally, under Select Machine Type select the particular machine type.