System reliability guidelines
Review the system reliability guidelines to ensure proper system cooling and reliability.
To help ensure proper system cooling and system reliability, make sure that the following requirements are met:
- Each of the drive bays has a drive or a filler panel and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) shield installed in it.
- Each of the power-supply bays has a power supply or a filler installed in it.
- If the server has redundant power, each of the power-supply bays has a power supply installed in it.
- There is adequate space around the server to allow the server cooling system to work properly. Leave approximately 50 mm (2.0 in.) of open space around the front and rear of the server. Do not place objects in front of the fans. For proper cooling and airflow, replace the server cover before you turn on the server. Operating the server for extended periods of time (more than 30 minutes) with the server cover removed might damage server components.
- You do not operate the server without the air baffle installed. Operating the server without the air baffle might cause the processor to overheat.
- All processor sockets must contain either a socket cover and a filler or a processor with heat sink.
- Follow the Lenovo Flex System Enterprise Chassis Service Guide for fan installation guidance. See for more information at Flex system documentation.