Remove a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive
Use this information to remove a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive.
About this task
Read Safety inspection checklist and Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
If one or more NVMe solid-state drives are to be removed, it is recommended to disable them beforehand via the operating system.
Before you make changes to the drives, drive controllers, drive backplanes, or drive cables, make sure to back up all important data stored in drives.
Before you remove any component of a RAID array (drive, RAID card, etc.), back up all RAID configuration information.
Make sure you have the drive bay filler available if no drives are going to be installed after the removal.
- Make a note of the number of the drive bay from which you removing the drive from. Drives must be installed in the bay from which they were removed.
- Remove the 2.5-inch hot-swap drive.
Figure 1. 2.5-inch hot-swap drive removal
- Pull the release latch on the drive.
- Hold the handle to pull the drive slightly out.
- Pull the drive out of the drive bay.
- If no drives are going to be installed in the drive bay, insert filler into the drive bay.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.