Remove a simple-swap drive
Use this information to remove a simple-swap drive.
- Ensure that you have back up data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array.
- Before you make changes to drives, drive controllers, drive backplanes, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on the drives.
- Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
If the security bezel is installed, remove it first. See Remove the security bezel.
To remove a simple-swap drive, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Use a screwdriver to unlock the handle lock 1. The handle opens automatically.Figure 1. Opening the drive tray handle
- Grasp the handle and slide the drive out of the drive bay.Figure 2. Simple-swap drive removal
Install the drive filler or a new drive to cover the drive bay. See Install a simple-swap drive.
If you are instructed to return the old drive, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.