Remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive
Use this information to remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
For easier operation, remove the riser 2 assembly. See Remove a riser card.
For server models with twelve 3.5-inch hot-swap drives, if you are removing the 480 GB or 240 GB M.2 drive, remove the M.2 drive air baffle.Figure 1. M.2 drive air baffle removal
To remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Grasp the M.2 backplane at both ends and pull it straight up to remove it from the system board.Figure 2. M.2 backplane removal
- Remove the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane by doing the following:Figure 3. M.2 drive removal
- Press both sides of the retainer 1.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane.NoteIf the M.2 backplane has two M.2 drives, they will both release outward when you slide the retainer backward.
- Rotate the M.2 drive away from the M.2 backplane.
- Pull it away from the connector 2 at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.