Remove the top cover
Follow the instructions in this section to remove the top cover.
Hazardous voltage, current, and energy levels might be present. Only a qualified service technician is authorized to remove the covers where the label is attached.
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
Before removing the top cover:
Read the safety information and installation guidelines (see Safety and Installation Guidelines).
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
To remove the top cover, complete the following steps:
- Unlock the cover release latch with a flat-end screwdriver.Figure 1. Lock on the top cover latch
Table 1. Lock/unlock directions on the top cover latch 1 Unlock 2 Lock
- Press and hold on the blue tab of cover release latch; then, rotate the tip of the latch up.
- Push the latch forward to slide the top cover away from the server.Figure 2. Top cover removal
- Lift the cover, remove it from the server, and set it aside.