Use this information to resolve issues related to memory.
Displayed system memory less than installed physical memory
- Make sure that:
No error LEDs are lit on the operator information panel.
No DIMM error LEDs are lit on the system board.
Memory mirrored channel does not account for the discrepancy.
The memory modules are seated correctly.
You have installed the correct type of memory.
If you changed the memory, you updated the memory configuration in the Setup utility.
All banks of memory are enabled. The server might have automatically disabled a memory bank when it detected a problem, or a memory bank might have been manually disabled.
There is no memory mismatch when the server is at the minimum memory configuration.
Reseat the DIMMs, and then restart the server.
Run memory diagnostics. When you start a server and press F1, the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager interface is displayed by default. You can perform memory diagnostics from this interface. From the Diagnostic page, click .
Check the POST error log:
If a DIMM was disabled by a systems-management interrupt (SMI), replace the DIMM.
If a DIMM was disabled by the user or by POST, reseat the DIMM; then, run the Setup utility and enable the DIMM.
Reseat the DIMM.
Restart the server.
Multiple rows of DIMMs in a branch identified as failing
- Reseat the DIMMs; then, restart the server.
- Remove the lowest-numbered DIMM pair of those that are identified and replace it with an identical known good DIMM; then, restart the server. Repeat as necessary. If the failures continue after all identified DIMMs are replaced, go to step 4.
- Return the removed DIMMs, one at a time, to their original connectors, restarting the server after each DIMM, until a DIMM fails. Replace each failing DIMM with an identical known good DIMM, restarting the server after each DIMM replacement. Repeat step 3 until you have tested all removed DIMMs.
- Replace the lowest-numbered DIMM of those identified; then, restart the server. Repeat as necessary.
- Reverse the DIMMs between the channels (of the same processor), and then restart the server. If the problem is related to a DIMM, replace the failing DIMM.
- (Trained technician only) Replace the system board.