This section describes the rules to install drives.
The following notes describe the type of hard disk drives that the server supports and other information that you must consider when you install a hard disk drive. For a list of supported hard disk drives, see the Lenovo ServerProven website.
- Locate the documentation that comes with the drive and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this chapter.
- Make sure that you have all the cables and other equipment that are specified in the documentation that comes with the drive.
- Select the bay in which you want to install the drive.
- Check the instructions that come with the drive to determine whether you have to set any switches or jumpers on the drive. If you are installing a SAS or SATA hard disk drive, be sure to set the SAS or SATA ID for that device.
- The fixed power supply models can support up to four 2.5-inch or 3.5-inch hot-swap or simple-swap hard disk drives.
- The redundant power supply models can support up to eight 2.5-inch hot-swap or simple-swap hard disk drives.
- The electromagnetic interference (EMI) integrity and cooling of the server are protected by having all bays and PCI and PCI Express slots covered or occupied. When you install a drive, PCI, or PCI Express adapter, save the EMC shield and filler panel from the bay or PCI adapter or PCI Express adapter slot cover in the event that you later remove the device.
- For a complete list of supported optional devices for the server, see the Lenovo ServerProven website.