Using the embedded hypervisor
The VMware ESXi embedded hypervisor is available on server models that come with an installed USB embedded hypervisor flash device.
To start using the embedded hypervisor functions, you must add the USB flash device to the boot order in the Setup utility.
To add the USB flash device to the boot order, complete the following steps:
- Turn on the server.NoteApproximately 20 to 40 seconds after the server is connected to power, the power-control button becomes active.
- When the prompt <F1> Setup is displayed, press F1.
- From the Setup utility main menu, select Boot Manager.
- Select . Press Enter, and then select Esc.
- Select Change Boot Order and then select Commit Changes; then, press Enter.
- Select Save Settings and then select Exit Setup.
Recovering the flash device image
If the embedded hypervisor flash device image becomes corrupt, you can use the VMware Recovery CD to recover the flash device image.
To recover the flash device image, complete the following steps:
- Turn on the server. NoteApproximately 20 to 40 seconds after the server is connected to power, the power-control button becomes active.
- Insert the VMware Recovery CD into the CD or DVD drive.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
For additional information and instructions, see the ESXi Embedded and vCenter Server Setup Guide at ESXi Embedded and vCenter Server Setup Guide.