Remove the SMM2 battery
Use this information to remove the SMM2 battery.
About this task
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
- Read the following sections to ensure that you work safely.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the SMM2 (see Remove the SMM2).
- If you want to migrate current enclosure settings and the enclosure midplane VPD onto the new SMM2, make sure you have done the following:
You had performed SMM2 settings backup, the enlcosure VPD backup, and the midplane VPD backup procedures.
Keep the old USB key which is removed from the SMM2 and install it onto the new SMM2.
- Locate the battery. Figure 1. SMM2 battery location
Table 1. SMM2 battery location 1 SMM2 battery
- Using your fingernail, press the battery retaining clip. The battery should pop free. Figure 2. SMM2 battery removalNoteDo not lift the battery by using excessive force. Failing to remove the battery properly may damage the socket on the
SMM2. Any damage to the socket may require replacing the SMM2.
- Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations. See Environmental Notices for more information.
- Store original SMM2 VPD back to new SMM2 for warranty remaining, if it is replaced.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.