Install a T-shaped heat sink
Use this information to install a T-shaped heat sink.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- If you use the existing heat sink:
Remove the thermal grease on the heat sink by using an alcohol cleaning pad.
- Apply new thermal grease in a quadrilateral design on the top of the processor.NoteDo not apply too much thermal grease. Too much thermal grease can result in excess grease coming in contact with and contaminating the processor socket.Figure 1. Applying thermal grease
If you use a new heat sink, the thermal grease is pre-applied to the heat sink. Remove the protective cover and install the heat sink.
- Orient the heat sink with the screw holes on the processor plate. The captive screws on the heat sink should align with the screw holes on the processor plate.
- Tighten all the captive screws in the installation sequence shown on the heat-sink label.
- Tighten the two screws located in the front of the T-shaped heat sink.