Install the CMOS battery
Use this information to install the CMOS battery.
About this task
- Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you replace the CMOS battery, you must adhere to local ordinances or regulations for battery disposal.
- If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the CMOS battery to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the CMOS battery out of the package.
- Install the CMOS battery. Ensure that the CMOS battery is seated in place.Figure 1. CMOS battery installation
After you finish
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Use the Setup utility to set the date, time, and any passwords.