Remove the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive
Use this information to remove the M.2 adapter and M.2 drive.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Remove the M.2 drive from the M.2 adapter.Note
The M.2 adapter you want to remove might be different from the following illustrations, but the removal method is the same.Figure 1. M.2 drive removal
- Press both sides of the retainer 2.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 adapter.
- Rotate the M.2 drive away from the M.2 adapter.
- Pull the M.2 drive away from the connector 1 at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.
- Remove the M.2 module from the chassis.Figure 2. M.2 module removal
- Loosen the screw.
- Release the M.2 adapter from the pin and carefully lift the M.2 adapter out from the chassis.
- Disconnect all M.2 cables from the system board.
NoteFailing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board.Figure 3. Disconnecting the M.2 cables
- Press the release tab to release the connector.
- Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the old M.2 adapter or M.2 drive, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.