Remove the serial port module
Use this information to remove the serial port module.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- Disconnect the cable of the serial port module from the system board.
NoteFailing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board.Figure 1. Disconnecting the serial port cable
- Press the release tab to release the connector.
- Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
- Remove the riser assembly from the system. See Riser assembly replacement.
- Open the retention latch and remove the serial port module from the riser bracket.
- (Optional) If you need to replace the serial port bracket, use a 5 mm wrench to disassemble the serial port cable from the bracket.Figure 2. Serial port module disassembling
Install a new serial port module, a PCIe adapter, or a PCIe slot bracket to cover the place. See Install the serial port module.
If you are instructed to return the old serial port module, follow all of the packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.