Install a hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
The following notes describe the type of drives that your server supports and other information that you must consider when you install a drive.
- Depending on your server models, your server supports the following drive types:
For a list of supported drives, see: Lenovo ServerProven website
The drive bays are numbered to indicate the installation order (starting from number
0). Follow the installation order when you install a drive. See Front view.
- You can mix drives of different types, different sizes, and different capacities in one system, but not in one RAID array. The following order is recommended when installing the drives:
Drive type priority: NVMe SSD, SAS SSD, SATA SSD, SAS HDD, SATA HDD
Drive size priority: 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch
Drive capacity priority: the lowest capacity first
The drives in a single RAID array must be the same type, same size, and same capacity.
Some server models support NVMe drives and the bays for installing NVMe drives vary by model:
Server models Bays for installing NVMe drives Eight-2.5-inch-drive-bay models that support NVMe drives Up to four NVMe drives in the bays 4–7 Sixteen-2.5-inch-drive-bay models that support NVMe drives Up to sixteen NVMe drives in the bays 0–15 Twenty-2.5-inch-drive-bay models that support NVMe drives Up to sixteen NVMe drives in the bays 0–19 Twenty-four-2.5-inch-drive-bay models that support NVMe drives Up to twenty-four NVMe drives in the bays 0–23 Twelve-3.5-inch-drive-bay model that supports NVMe drives Up to four NVMe drives in the bays 8–11
- If the drive bay has a drive filler installed, pinch the two tabs to remove the drive filler. Keep the drive filler in a safe place.Figure 1. 2.5-inch drive filler removalFigure 2. 3.5-inch drive filler removal
Touch the static-protective package that contains the new drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new drive out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install a hot-swap drive, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Ensure that the drive tray handle is in the open position. Slide the drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Close the drive tray handle to lock the drive in place.
- Check the drive status LED to verify that the drive is operating correctly.
If the yellow drive status LED is lit continuously, that drive is faulty and must be replaced.
If the green drive activity LED is flashing, the drive is being accessed.
- Continue to install additional hot-swap drives if necessary.
If you have removed the security bezel, reinstall it. See Install the security bezel.
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID if necessary. For more information, see: http://sysmgt.lenovofiles.com/help/topic/LXPM/RAID_setup.html