Remove a fan
Follow instructions in this section to remove a fan.
About this task
Hazardous energy present. Voltages with hazardous energy might cause heating when shorted with metal, which might result in spattered metal, burns, or both.
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
- Remove the fan.Figure 1. Removing a fan
- Pinch and hold on the orange touch points on the top of the fan.
- Lift the fan to remove it.
After this task is completed
- Install a replacement unit (see Install a fan).AttentionWith power on, complete the replacement within 30 seconds to ensure proper operation.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.