Remove a drive backplane
Use this procedure to remove a drive backplane.
Before removing the drive backplane:
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
To remove the drive backplane, complete the following steps:
- Pull all the drives and fillers out slightly to disengage them from the backplane.
- Remove the fan cage assembly (see Remove the fan cage assembly).
- Disconnect all the signal cables and the power cable from the backplane.
- Lift and hold the retention latches on top of the backplane.Figure 1. Drive backplane removal
- Rotate the backplane from the top toward the center of the server to disengage it from the retention latches.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.