Install a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive
Use this procedure to install a 2.5-inch drive.
Following are the types of drives supported by this server:
- NVMe solid-state drive
- SATA/SAS solid-state drive
- SATA/SAS hard-disk drive
For a complete list of supported optional device for this server, see Lenovo ServerProven website.
Before installing a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive:
Read the safety information and installation guidelines (see Safety and Installation Guidelines).
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Watch the procedure
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
To install a 2.5-inch drive, complete the following steps:
- Determine the available drive bays based on the drive bay labels applied. The following NVMe labels indicate that these drive bays support both NVMe and SATA/SAS drives. Otherwise, only SATA/SAS drives are supported.Figure 1. Drive bay labels of NVMe solid-state drives
Table 1. Drive bay labels of NVMe solid-state drives 1 Drive bay 4-7 label of NVMe solid-state drives 2 Drive bay 12-15 label of NVMe solid-state drivesNote
Make sure to install every drive into the drive bay that supports the type of the specific drive. Drive type information is available on the drive.
When there are both SATA/SAS and NVMe drives to install, first install NVMe drives in reverse numeral order based on the bay number, and then install the SATA/SAS ones in numeral order.
- Remove the drive bay filler if it has been installed in the drive bay.
- Gently rotate the release latch away to unlock the drive handle.
- Slide the drive into the drive bay, and push it until it stops.Figure 2. Drive installation
- Rotate the drive-tray handle back to the locked position.
After installing the 2.5-inch hot-swap drive, check the drive status LED to verify if the drive is operating correctly:
- If the yellow LED is lit continuously, it is malfunctioning and must be replaced.
- If the green LED is flashing, the drive is functioning.