Install a simple-swap drive (bay 1-3)
Follow this procedure to install a simple-swap drive.
Before installing a simple-swap drive:
Make sure the type of drives to be installed is supported. Following are the types supported:
- 3.5-inch simple-swap drive
- 2.5-inch simple-swap drive
For a complete list of supported optional devices for the server, see:Lenovo ServerProven website
If there are more than one drives to be installed, determine installation order based on the following rules:
NoteDrives of different types and different capacities are allowed to be installed in one server, but not in the same RAID array. The drives in a single RAID array must be the same type and the same capacity. See
Start with solid-state drives, and proceed with hard-disk drives.
Start with the drive with the lowest capacity.
Start with bay 1, proceed to bay 2, and 3.
RAID Setup for more details.
To install a simple-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- Prepare the drive to be installed if necessary:NoteTo prevent from damaging the drive with static discharge, do not touch the circuit board on the bottom of the drive.Figure 1. Circuit board on the drive
- Slightly tear both sides of the retainer apart; then, fit the drive in the retainer.
- Align the four holes on the drive with the corresponding pins on the retainer, and lower the drive until it is secured in the retainer.Figure 2. Installing a 3.5-inch drive into the retainer
- Align the four screw holes on the retainer to those on the drive; then, secure the drive to the adapter with four screws.Figure 3. Installing a 2.5-inch drive into the retainer
- Install the drive assembly based on the drive number:
Bay 1 and 2Face the connectors up, and slide the drive assembly into the drive bay.Figure 4. Installing a drive assembly into bay 2
Bay 3Face the connectors down, and slide the drive assembly into the drive bay.Figure 5. Installing a drive assembly into bay 3
- Connect the signal and power cable to the system board. See Cable routing for drive bay 1-3 for details.
After installing the simple-swap drive:
Install other drives if necessary.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Check the drive activity LED on the front panel to verify if the drives are operating correctly.
Table 1. Drive activity LED behavior Status Color Description Solid on Green The drives are active. Off None The drives are not active.
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager Lite to configure the RAID if necessary. For more information, see: