Remove a simple-swap drive (bay 1-3)
Follow this procedure to remove a simple-swap drive.
Before removing a simple-swap drive:
Turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
Remove any locking device that secures the server cover, such as a Kensington lock or a pad lock.
- Remove the server cover (see Remove the server cover).CAUTIONThe heat sinks and processor could be very hot. To avoid from burning yourself, wait for a few minutes after turning off the server before you remove the server cover.
To remove a simple-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- Disconnect every cable from the drive assembly.Note
Follow the instructions in Internal cable routing and handle the release tab on the connector carefully.
- Grasp the retainer handle, and slide the drive assembly out from the drive bay.Figure 1. Removing a drive assembly from bay 2Figure 2. Removing a drive assembly from bay 3
- If necessary, remove the drive from the retainer.
- Tear both sides of the retainer apart, and remove the drive.Figure 3. Removing a 3.5-inch drive from the retainer
- Remove the four screws that secured the drive to the retainer, and remove the drive.Figure 4. Removing a 2.5-inch drive from the retainer
- Tear both sides of the retainer apart, and remove the drive.
After removing the simple-swap drive:
Install a new drive (see Install a simple-swap drive (bay 1-3)). Otherwise, install the screws to the retainer, and slide the retainer back into the drive bay for future use.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.