Install a hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
The following notes describe the type of drives that your server supports and other information that you must consider when you install a drive.
- Depending on your server models, your server supports the following drive types:
For a complete list of supported optional devices for the server, see:Lenovo ServerProven website
The drive bays are numbered to indicate the installation order (starting from number “0”). Follow the installation order when you install a drive. See Front view.
- You can mix drives of different types, different sizes, and different capacities in one system, but not in one RAID array. The following order is recommended when installing the drives:
Drive type priority: NVMe SSD, SAS SSD, SATA SSD, SAS HDD, SATA HDD
Drive size priority: 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch
Drive capacity priority: the lowest capacity first
The drives in a single RAID array must be the same type, same size, and same capacity.
- If the drive bay has a drive filler installed, remove it. Keep the drive filler in a safe place for future use.Figure 1. Drive filler removal
Touch the static-protective package that contains the new hot-swap drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new hot-swap drive out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
To install a hot-swap drive, complete the following steps:
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube
- Ensure that the tray handle is in the open position. Slide the drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Close the tray handle to lock the drive in place.
- The hot-swap drive should be powered up and begin initialization. Check the drive LEDs to verify that the drive is operating correctly.
Drive LED Status Description 4 Drive activity LED (left) Solid green The drive is powered but not active. Blinking green The drive is active. 5 Drive status LED (right) Solid yellow The drive has an error. Blinking yellow (blinking slowly, about one flash per second) The drive is being rebuilt. Blinking yellow (blinking rapidly, about four flashes per second) The RAID adapter is locating the drive.
Continue to install additional hot-swap drives if necessary.
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Close the front door.
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID if necessary. For more information, see: http://sysmgt.lenovofiles.com/help/topic/LXPM/RAID_setup.html