Remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive
Use this information to remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
Before removing the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive:
If the server is installed in a rack, extend the server from the rack.
Remove the server cover. See Remove the server cover.
For easier operation, remove the PCIe adapter retainer. See Remove the PCIe adapter retainer.
Remove any parts and disconnect any cables that might impede your access to the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
To remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive, complete the following steps:
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube
- Grasp the M.2 backplane at both ends and pull it straight up to remove it from the system board.Figure 1. M.2 backplane removal
- Remove the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane by doing the following:Figure 2. M.2 drive removal
- Press both sides of the retainer 1.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane.NoteIf the M.2 backplane has two M.2 drives, they will both release outward when you slide the retainer backward.
- Rotate the M.2 drive away from the M.2 backplane.
- Pull it away from the connector 2 at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.