The section introduces available tools to help you diagnose and solve hardware-related problems.
- Light path diagnostics:
Use light path diagnostics to diagnose system errors quickly. See Light path diagnostics for more information.
- Dynamic System Analysis (DSA) Preboot diagnostic programs:
The DSA Preboot diagnostic programs provide problem isolation, configuration analysis, and error log collection. The diagnostic programs are the primary method of testing the major components of the server and are stored in integrated USB memory. The diagnostic programs collect the following information about the server:
- System configuration
- Network interfaces and settings
- Installed hardware
- Light path diagnostics status
- Service processor status and configuration
- Vital product data, firmware, and UEFI configuration
- Hard disk drive health
- RAID controller configuration
- Controller and service processor event logs, including the following information:
- System error logs
- Temperature, voltage, and fan speed information
- Self-monitoring Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) data
- Machine check registers
- USB information
- Monitor configuration information
- PCI slot information
The diagnostic programs create a merged log that includes events from all collected logs. The information is collected into a file that you can send to IBM service and support. Additionally, you can view the server information locally through a generated text report file. You can also copy the log to removable media and view the log from a web browser. See Running the diagnostic programs for more information.
- Troubleshooting tables:
These tables list problem symptoms and actions to correct the problems. See Troubleshooting tables for more information.
- IBM Electronic Service Agent:
IBM Electronic Service Agent is a software tool that monitors the server for hardware error events and automatically submits electronic service requests to IBM service and support. In addition, it can collect and transmit system configuration information on a scheduled basis so that the information is available to you and your support representative. It uses minimal system resources, and is available free of charge. For more information and to download IBM Electronic Service Agent, go to Submit An eTicket.
- POST error codes and event logs:
- Checkpoint codes:
Checkpoint codes track the progress of POST routines at system startup or reset. Checkpoint codes are shown on the checkpoint code display, which is on the light path diagnostics panel.