Install the compute node in the chassis
Use this information to install the compute node in the chassis.
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.S021CAUTIONHazardous energy is present when the blade is connected to the power source. Always replace the blade cover before installing the blade.
To install the compute node in a chassis, complete the following steps:
- Select the node bay. Note
- If you are reinstalling a compute node that you removed, you must install it in the same node bay from which you removed it. Some compute node configuration information and update options are established according to node bay number. Reinstalling a compute node into a different node bay can have unintended consequences. If you reinstall the compute node into a different node bay, you might have to reconfigure the compute node.
- To maintain proper system cooling, do not operate the Lenovo Flex System chassis without a compute node, or node bay filler in each node bay.
- Make sure that the front handle on the compute node is in the fully open position.
- Slide the compute node into the node bay until it stops.
- Push the front handle on the front of the compute node to the closed position.NoteAfter the compute node is installed, the
Lenovo XClarity Controller in the compute node initializes and synchronizes with the Chassis Management Module. The time required for a compute node to initialize varies by system configuration. The power LED flashes rapidly; the power button on the compute node does not respond until the power LED flashes slowly, indicating that the initialization process is complete.
- Turn on the compute node.ImportantIf an Attention label is on the front panel of the compute node above the power button, read it; then, remove the label and discard it before turning on the compute node.
- Make sure that the power LED on the compute node control panel is lit continuously, indicating that the compute node is receiving power and is turned on.
- If you have other compute nodes to install, do so now.
If this is the initial installation of the compute node in the chassis, you must configure the compute node through the Setup utility and install the compute node operating system. See System configuration for details.
If you have changed the configuration of the compute node or if you are installing a different compute node from the one that you removed, you must configure the compute node through the Setup utility, and you might have to install the compute node operating system. See System configuration for details.
For instructions related to the Flex System Enterprise chassis, see Installing components in the Enterprise chassis.
For instructions related to the Flex System Carrier-Grade chassis, see Installing components in a carrier-grade chassis.