Install a hot-swap drive
Use this information to install a hot-swap drive.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the drive to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the drive out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.Note
Ensure that drive installation meets Technical rules.
- Remove the drive filler from the drive bay and keep the drive filler in a safe place.Figure 1. Drive filler removal
- Install the drive in the drive bay.Figure 2. Hot-swap drive installation
- Ensure that the drive tray handle is in the open position. Slide the drive into the drive bay until it snaps into position.
- Close the drive tray handle to lock the drive in place.
- Check the drive status LED to verify that the drive is operating correctly.
- If the yellow drive status LED is lit continuously, that drive is faulty and must be replaced.
- If the green drive activity LED is flashing, the drive is being accessed.
- Continue to install additional hot-swap drives if necessary.
After you finish
Reinstall the security bezel if you have removed it. See Install the security bezel.
Use the Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager to configure the RAID if necessary. For more information, see the
RAID Setupsection in the LXPM documentation compatible with your server at Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager portal page.
If you have installed U.3 NVMe drives on a 2.5-inch AnyBay 8-bay backplane for Tri-mode, enable U.3 x1 mode for the selected drive slots on the backplane through the XCC Web GUI. See U.3 NMVe drive can be detected in NVMe connection, but cannot be detected in Tri-mode.