Remove a memory module
Use this information to remove a memory module.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. Refer to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices.
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
A video for this task is available at YouTube
- Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
- If your server comes with an air baffle, remove it. See Remove the air baffle.
- Remove the memory module from the slot.Figure 1. Memory module removal
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.AttentionTo avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module slots, handle the clips gently.
- Grasp the memory module at both ends and carefully lift it out of the slot.
- Open the retaining clip on each end of the memory module slot.
After you finish
Install a memory module filler or a new memory module to cover the slot. See Install a memory module.
If you are instructed to return the old memory module, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.