Remove a drive backplane
Follow instructions in this section to remove a drive backplane.
About this task
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the security bezel (see Remove the security bezel).
- Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
- Remove the fan cage assembly (see Remove the fan cage assembly).
- Disengage all the drives or fillers from the backplane to be removed (see Remove a 2.5-inch hot-swap drive), and disconnect the cables that are connected to the backplane.
- Remove the drive backplane.Figure 1. Removing the drive backplane
- Lift and hold the retention latches on top of the backplane.
- Rotate the backplane from the top to disengage it from the retention latches.
After this task is completed
- Install a replacement unit (see Install a drive backplane), or fill the corresponding drive bays with drive fillers.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.