Remove the CMOS battery (CR2032)
Follow instructions in this section to remove the CMOS battery.
About this task
The following notes describe information that you must consider when replacing the battery:
- Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you replace the battery, you must adhere to the following instructions.
- If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
- After you replace the battery, you must reconfigure the server and reset the system date and time.
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove the top cover (see Remove the top cover).
- Remove the system board air baffle (see Remove the system board air baffle) or the processor and memory expansion tray and the expansion tray air baffle (see Remove the processor and memory expansion tray).
- Remove the PCIe riser assembly in riser zone 1 (see Remove the PCIe riser assembly from zone 1).
- If OCP adapter air baffle has been installed, remove it.Figure 1. Remove the OCP adapter air baffle
- Grasp and lift the handle to disconnect the USB cable from the system board.
- Lift the air baffle to remove it.
- Locate the CMOS battery on the system board.Figure 2. CMOS battery location on the system board
Table 1. CMOS battery location 1 CMOS battery
- Gently press on the nub on the side of the CMOS battery as illustrated; then, pivot the battery away from the seat to remove it.AttentionAvoid excessive force on the CMOS battery, as it might damage the socket on the system board and result in system board replacement.Figure 3. Removing the CMOS battery
- Pick up the battery with finger tips.
After this task is completed
Install a replacement unit (see Install the CMOS battery (CR2032)).
Dispose the component with compliance to local regulations.