Remove an M.2 drive
Use this information to remove an M.2 drive.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
If foot stands are installed on the server, rotate them inwards and lay the server on its side for easier operation.
- Remove the server cover. See Remove the server cover.
- Remove the M.2 drive.Figure 1. M.2 drive removal
- Press both sides of the retainer.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 boot adapter.
- Pivot the M.2 drive away from the M.2 boot adapter.
- Pull the M.2 drive away from the connector at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.