System reliability guidelines
To help ensure proper system cooling and system reliability, make sure that the following requirements are met.
- Each of the drive bays has a drive or a filler panel and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) shield installed in it.
- Each of the power-supply bays has a power supply or a filler installed in it.
- If the server has redundant power, each of the power-supply bays has a power supply installed in it.
- There is adequate space around the server to allow the server cooling system to work properly. Leave approximately 50 mm (2.0 in.) of open space around the front and rear of the server. Do not place objects in front of the fans. For proper cooling and airflow, replace the server cover before you turn on the server. Operating the server for extended periods of time (more than 30 minutes) with the server cover removed might damage server components.
- You have followed the cabling instructions that come with optional adapters.
- You have replaced a failed fan within 48 hours.
- You have replaced a hot-swap fan within 30 seconds of removal.
- You have replaced a hot-swap drive within 2 minutes of removal.
- You have replaced a failed hot-swap power supply within 2 minutes of removal.
- You do not operate the server without the air baffle installed. Operating the server without the air baffle might cause the microprocessor to overheat.
- Microprocessor socket 2 always contains either a socket cover or a microprocessor and heat sink.
- You have installed the fourth and sixth fans when you installed the second microprocessor option.