Handling static-sensitive devices
Use this information to handle static-sensitive devices.
Static electricity can damage the server and other electronic devices. To avoid damage, keep static-sensitive devices in their static-protective packages until you are ready to install them.
To reduce the possibility of damage from electrostatic discharge, observe the following precautions:
- Limit your movement. Movement can cause static electricity to build up around you.
- The use of a grounding system is recommended. For example, wear an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap, if one is available. Always use an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system when working inside the server with the power on.
- Handle the device carefully, holding it by its edges or its frame.
- Do not touch solder joints, pins, or exposed circuitry.
- Do not leave the device where others can handle and damage it.
- While the device is still in its static-protective package, touch it to an unpainted metal surface on the outside of the server for at least 2 seconds. This drains static electricity from the package and from your body.
- Remove the device from its package and install it directly into the server without setting down the device. If it is necessary to set down the device, put it back into its static-protective package. Do not place the device on the server cover or on a metal surface.
- Take additional care when handling devices during cold weather. Heating reduces indoor humidity and increases static electricity.