Remove the manifold
Use this information to remove the manifold.
About this task
The water might cause irritation to the skin and eyes. Avoid direct contact with the lubricant.
Ensure proper handling procedures are followed when working with any chemically treated water used in the compute rack cooling system. Ensure that material safety data sheets (MSDS) and safety information are provided by the water chemical treatment supplier and that proper personal protective equipment (PPE) is available as recommended by the water chemical treatment supplier. Protective gloves and eyewear may be recommended as a precaution.
The task in this section requires two or more people.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove all trays in the front of the enclosure. See Remove a DWC tray from the enclosure.
- Remove the EMC shields. See Remove an EMC shield.
- Remove the drip sensor assembly. See Remove the drip sensor assembly.
- Remove the SMM2 and SMM2 support bracket. See Remove the SMM2.
- Remove all power supplies. See Remove a hot-swap power supply or Remove a DWC PSU.
- Remove the DWC PSU manifold. See Remove the DWC PSU manifold.
- At the front of the rack, close both Eaton ball valves.Figure 1. Eaton ball valves closed
Table 1. Eaton ball valves 1 Rack supply 2 Rack return
- Remove the red quick connect plug covers from the tops of each manifold, and on the rear of each manifold section.Figure 2. Quick connect plug covers removal
- Connect the hose assembly (supplied to customer installation site) to the top quick connect at Location A (top of the rack). Make sure the hose still remains in the bucket with the valve closed (valve handle perpendicular to the hose).Figure 3. Hose assembly to top quick connect
- Slowly open the hose valve to allow a steady stream of water to drain. Close the hose valve once water stops flowing (it may take approximately one minute).Figure 4. Hose assembly at Location A
- Disconnect the hose assembly from Location A and connect it to Location B. Slowly open the hose valve to allow a steady stream of water to drain. Close the hose valve once water stops flowing.Figure 5. Hose assembly at Location B
- Disconnect the hose assembly from Location B and connect it to Location C. Slowly open the hose valve to allow a steady stream of water to drain. Close the hose valve once water stops flowing.Figure 6. Hose assembly at Location C
- Disconnect the hose assembly from Location C and connect it to Location D. Slowly open the hose valve to allow a steady stream of water to drain. Close the hose valve once water stops flowing.Figure 7. Hose assembly at Location D
- Starting from the top enclosure to the bottom enclosure, continue to each enclosure by reaching into each enclosure Location C and Location D quick connects to allow a steady stream of water to drain. Repeat the draining process until all Location C and Location D in the entire rack have been drained.
- At this point, the manifold should be properly drained to allow for service. Since there still can be some water left in the manifold, prepare work area with absorbent cloths to collect any water that may drain out.
- Determine which manifold needs to be replaced.
- Remove manifold retention bracket that is retaining the manifold (top enclosure position only).Figure 8. Retention bracket removal
- Remove the manifold.
- Remove four screws (using the screwdriver contained in the manifold repair kit) between manifold bracket and enclosure.
- Remove the manifold from the enclosure.
- Remove the drip sensor tray from the manifold.Figure 9. Manifold removalFigure 10. Manifold screw locations
Table 2. Manifold screw locations 1 Screws 2 Manifold
- Repeat the previous step for all manifold sections until you can remove the entire manifold and lay it on the ground.
- If you need to replace a manifold section.
Figure 11. Manifold disassemble
- Place a pan under the manifold section that needs to be replaced.
- Use the 41 mm wrench supplied with the replacement manifold section kit to disconnect the couplings.
- Disconnect the manifold section that needs to be replaced.
Table 3. Manifold disassemble 1 41 mm wrench
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.