Install a memory module
Use this information to install a memory module.
About this task
See Memory module installation rules and order for detailed information about memory configuration and setup.
- Read the following sections to ensure that you work safely.
- Memory modules are sensitive to static discharge and require special handling. In addition to the standard guidelines for Handling static-sensitive devices:
Always wear an electrostatic-discharge strap when removing or installing memory modules. Electrostatic-discharge gloves can also be used.
Never hold two or more memory modules together so that they touch. Do not stack memory modules directly on top of each other during storage.
Never touch the gold memory module connector contacts or allow these contacts to touch the outside of the memory-module connector housing.
Handle memory modules with care: never bend, twist, or drop a memory module.
Do not use any metal tools (such as jigs or clamps) to handle the memory modules, because the rigid metals may damage the memory modules.
Do not insert memory modules while holding packages or passive components, which can cause package cracks or detachment of passive components by the high insertion force.
DIMM fillers must be installed in unused slots for proper cooling.
- Carefully use the memory module tool to press down the retaining clips on each end of the memory module connector.NoteMemory module tool is recommended due to space limitations caused by location of water loop tubes through the memory section.Figure 3. Memory module removalAttention
Memory modules are static-sensitive devices. The package must be grounded before it is opened.
To avoid breaking the retaining clips or damaging the memory module connectors, open and close the clips gently.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the memory module to any unpainted metal surface on the outside of the node. Then, remove the memory module from the package.
- Align the memory module with the slot, and gently place the memory module on the slot with both hands.
- Firmly press both ends of the memory module straight down into the slot until the retaining clips snap into the locked position.Figure 4. memory module installationNoteIf there is a gap between the memory module and the retaining clips, the memory module has not been correctly inserted; open the retaining clips, remove the memory module, and then reinsert it.
Reinstall the memory module tool.Figure 5. Memory module tool
Reinstall the tray cover (see Install the tray cover).
Reinstall the tray (see Install a DWC tray in the enclosure).NoteFor safety, use the lift tool to install the tray into the rack.
- Connect all required external cables to the enclosure.NoteUse extra forces to connect QSFP cables to the enclosure if Mellanox ConnectX-6 adapters are installed.
Check the power LED on each node to make sure it changes from fast blink to slow blink to indicate all nodes are ready to be powered on.