Install the CMOS battery
Use this information to install the CMOS battery.
The following tips describe information that you must consider when installing the CMOS battery.
- Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you install the CMOS battery, you must adhere to the following instructions.NoteIn the U. S., call 1-800-IBM-4333 for information about battery disposal.
- If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
- To order replacement batteries, call 1-800-IBM-SERV within the U.S., and 1-800-465-7999 or 1-800-465-6666 within Canada. Outside the U.S. and Canada, call your support center or business partner.NoteAfter you install the CMOS battery, you must reconfigure the server and reset the system date and time.
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Lenovo specified part number or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
The power-control button on the device and the power switch on the power supply do not turn off the electrical current supplied to the device. The device also might have more than one power cord. To remove all electrical current from the device, ensure that all power cords are disconnected from the power source.
To install the CMOS battery, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
Figure 1. CMOS battery installation
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new CMOS battery to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new CMOS battery out of the package.
- Install the new CMOS battery. Ensure that the CMOS battery is seated in place.
After installing the CMOS battery:
Complete the parts replacement. See Complete the parts replacement.
Use the Setup utility to set the date, time, and any passwords.