Install the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter
Use this information to install the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- Touch the static-protective package that contains the new OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter to any unpainted surface on the outside of the server. Then, take the new OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter out of the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
- Remove the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter filler if there is.
- Install the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter.Note
Figure 1. OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter installation
Ensure that the Ethernet adapter is fully seated and the thumbscrew is securely tightened. Otherwise, the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter will not get full connection and may not function.
If there is an OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter installed, when the system is powered off but still plugged in to AC power, system fans will continue to spin at a much lower speed. This is the system design to provide proper cooling for the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter.
- Push the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter as shown to insert it into the connector on the system board.
- Tighten the thumbscrew to secure the card.
- Connect the cables to the OCP 3.0 Ethernet adapter.
Figure 2. OCP module (two connectors)
Figure 3. OCP module (four connectors)