Install an adapter
Use this procedure to install an adapter.
Before installing an adapter:
Read the safety information and installation guidelines (see Safety and Installation Guidelines).
Touch the static-protective package that contains the component to any unpainted metal surface on the server; then, remove it from the package and place it on a static-protective surface.
Follow the following instructions accordingly to the location where the adapter is to be installed.
Install an adapter on the system board
To install an adapter on the system board, complete the following steps:
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Open the retention latch.
- Align the adapter with the connector on the system board.Note
Use specific PCIe slots for the following RAID adapters:
RAID adapter for SATA/SAS drives: slot 2, 10
PCIe switch card: slot 1, 11
For PCIe slot numbering, see System-board connectors.
- Push the adapter in until it clicks into place.Figure 1. Adapter installation to the system board
- Connect internal cables to the adapter. Follow instructions of internal cable routing for adapters (see Internal cable routing).
- Close the retention latch.
Install an adapter in a PCIe riser card assembly
To install an adapter to a PCIe riser card assembly removed from the server, complete the following steps:
When both LOM adapter and ML2 adapter are installed to the server, the system can support up to two additional network adapters.
- Open the bracket on the PCIe riser card assembly.
- Align the adapter with the connector on the PCIe riser card assembly.
- Push the adapter into the PCIe riser card assembly until it clicks into place.Figure 2. Adapter installation to the PCIe riser card assembly
- Close the bracket.
After installing an adapter in a PCIe riser card assembly or directly on the system board, complete the following steps:
Install the PCIe expansion tray (see Install the PCIe expansion tray).
- If the adapter is installed to a PCIe riser card assembly, install the PCIe riser card assembly to the server (see Install the PCIe riser card assembly).
Install the top cover (see Install the top cover).
Reconnect the power cords and any cables that you removed.
If the server is installed in a rack, reinstall the server into the rack.
Power on the server and any peripheral devices.