System reliability guidelines
The system reliability guidelines to ensure proper system cooling.
Make sure the following requirements are met:
- When the server comes with redundant power, a power supply must be installed in each power-supply bay.
- Adequate space around the server must be spared to allow server cooling system to work properly. Leave approximately 50 mm (2.0 in.) of open space around the front and rear of the server. Do not place any object in front of the fans.
- For proper cooling and airflow, refit the server cover before you turn the power on. Do not operate the server for more than 30 minutes with the server cover removed, for it might damage server components.
- Cabling instructions that come with optional components must be followed.
- A failed fan must be replaced within 48 hours since malfunction.
- A removed hot-swap drive must be replaced within two minutes after removal.
- A removed hot-swap power supply must be replaced within two minutes after removal.
- Every air baffle that comes with the server must be installed when the server starts (some servers might come with more than one air baffle). Operating the server with a missing air baffle might damage the processor.
- All processor sockets must contain either a socket cover or a processor with heat sink.
- When more than one processor is installed, fan population rules for each server must be strictly followed.