Remove a PCIe adapter
Use this information to remove a PCIe adapter.
About this task
Read Installation guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
If the server is in a rack, remove it from the rack.
If foot stands are installed on the server, rotate them inwards and lay the server on its side for easier operation.
Depending on the specific type, your PCIe adapter might look different from the illustration in this topic.
Use any documentation that comes with the PCIe adapter and follow those instructions in addition to the instructions in this topic.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Locate the PCIe adapter you want to remove. Depending on the type of PCIe adapter, you might also need to disconnect all cables from the PCIe adapter, the system board, or the drive backplane.
- Remove the PCIe adapter.Figure 1. PCIe adapter removal
- Open the PCIe adapter retainer.
- Remove the screw that secures the PCIe adapter.
- Grasp the PCIe adapter by its edges and carefully pull it out of the slot.
After you finish
Install another PCIe adapter if necessary. See Install a PCIe adapter. Otherwise, install a bracket to cover the vacancy and close the PCIe adapter retainer.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.