Removing the system battery
Use this information to remove the system battery.
- Lenovo has designed this product with your safety in mind. The lithium battery must be handled correctly to avoid possible danger. If you replace the battery, you must adhere to the following instructions.NoteIn the U. S., call 1-800-IBM-4333 for information about battery disposal.
- If you replace the original lithium battery with a heavy-metal battery or a battery with heavy-metal components, be aware of the following environmental consideration. Batteries and accumulators that contain heavy metals must not be disposed of with normal domestic waste. They will be taken back free of charge by the manufacturer, distributor, or representative, to be recycled or disposed of in a proper manner.
- To order replacement batteries, call 1-800-IBM-SERV within the United States, and 1-800-465-7999 or 1-800-465-6666 within Canada. Outside the U.S. and Canada, call your support center or business partner.NoteAfter you replace the battery, you must reconfigure the server and reset the system date and time.Statement 2CAUTION
When replacing the lithium battery, use only Part Number 33F8354 or an equivalent type battery recommended by the manufacturer. If your system has a module containing a lithium battery, replace it only with the same module type made by the same manufacturer. The battery contains lithium and can explode if not properly used, handled, or disposed of.Do not:
- Throw or immerse into water
- Heat to more than 100°C (212°F)
- Repair or disassemble
Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations.
If you are replacing a server component in the server, you need to slide the server out from the rack enclosure, turn off the server and peripheral devices, and disconnect the power cords and all external cables.
To remove the battery, complete the following steps.
- Remove the cover (see Removing the cover).
- If necessary, lift the air baffle out of the way (see Removing the air baffle).
- Remove the system battery:The following illustration shows the location of the system battery.Figure 1. System battery location
- If there is a rubber cover on the battery holder, use your fingers to lift the battery cover from the battery connector.
- Use one finger to tilt the battery horizontally out of its socket, pushing it away from the socket.AttentionNeither tilt nor push the battery by using excessive force.
- Use your thumb and index finger to lift the battery from the socket.Figure 2. System battery removalAttentionDo not lift the battery by using excessive force. Failing to remove the battery properly may damage the socket on the system board. Any damage to the socket may require replacing the system board.
- Dispose of the battery as required by local ordinances or regulations (see the Environmental Notices and User's Guide for more information).