Remove a hot-swap drive
Use this procedure to remove a drive.
- Read the following section(s) to ensure that you work safely.
Make sure you save the data on your drive, especially if it is part of a RAID array, before you remove it from the node.
- To make sure that there is adequate system cooling, do not operate the solution for more than 2 minutes without either a drive or a filler panel installed in each bay.
- Before you make changes to drives, drive controllers (including controllers that are integrated on the system board), drive backplanes, or drive cables, back up all important data that is stored on drives.
- Before you remove any component of a RAID array, back up all RAID configuration information.
- If one or more NVMe solid-state drives are to be removed, disable them beforehand in OS.
Complete the following steps to remove a drive.
- Slide the latch to unlock the drive handle.
- Grasp the handle and slide the drive out of the drive bay.
Install either a drive bay filler or a replacement drive (see Install a hot-swap drive).
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.