Remove the enclosure from the rack
Use this information to remove the enclosure from the rack.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines and Safety inspection checklist to ensure that you work safely.
- Three trained technicians are needed to complete the enclosure installation/removal task.
Two technicians hold front and rear handles at both sides of the enclosure.
One technician protects cables from damage.
Follow the following steps to shut down the solution if needed.
Record the machine type model, the enclosure serial number, and retrieve the existing universally unique identifier (UUID) information from the enclosure midplane that you are removing. The procedure for obtaining this data might require different steps depending on the functional state of the enclosure.
- Log onto the Lenovo XClarity Controller and access the command-line interface (CLI). You can access the XCC CLI through a direct serial or Ethernet connection to the XCC, or through a Secure Shell (SSH) connection to the XCC. You must authenticate with the XCC before issuing commands.
- Query for the machine type model, enclosure serial number, and the UUID values by using the CLI info command. Record this information before you proceed.
- Enclosure is not operating:
- Obtain the enclosure serial number and the machine type model from one of the enclosure labels.
- Record the enclosure serial number, the machine type model, and the UUID before you proceed.
Disconnect all external cables from the enclosure.
Use extra force to disconnect QSFP cables if they are connected to the solution.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Remove all trays in the front of the enclosure. See Remove a DWC tray from the enclosure.
- Remove the EMC shields. See Remove an EMC shield.
- Remove the drip sensor assembly. See Remove the drip sensor assembly.
- Remove the SMM2 and SMM2 support bracket. See Remove the SMM2.
- Remove all power supplies. See Remove a hot-swap power supply or Remove a DWC PSU.
- Remove the manifold. See Remove the manifold.
- Remove eight screws to remove two support brackets on both sides.Figure 1. Support bracket removal
- Remove the two EIA covers from the front of the enclosure, then, remove the six screws that secure the enclosure to the rack.Figure 2. EIA cover removal
- Slide the enclosure out until it allows you to attach front handles at both sides. Align slots on the handles with posts on the enclosure and slide handles up until them lock into places. AttentionThree trained technicians are required to complete the enclosure installation/removal task.
Figure 3. Sliding the enclosureFigure 4. Front handle installation
Two technicians must hold the front and rear handles at both sides of the enclosure.
One technician must protect the cables from damage.
- Hold front handles at both sides and slide the enclose out until you have enough space to install rear handles.Figure 5. Rear handle installation
- Carefully hold front and rear handles at both sides to slide the enclosure out of the rack; then, gently put the enclosure on a stable work surface.NoteMake sure all handle posts are secured before lifting.Figure 6. Attaching four handles
After you finish
To remove the rails from a rack, follow the instructions that are provided in ThinkSystem high-density server rail options.
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.