Remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive
Use this information to remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive.
Before removing the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive:
Remove the top cover. See Remove the top cover.
For easier operation, remove the riser assembly next to the M.2 backplane. See Remove a riser card.
To remove the M.2 backplane and M.2 drive, complete the following steps:
Watch the procedure
A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- Grasp the M.2 backplane at both ends and pull it straight up to remove it from the system board.Figure 1. M.2 backplane removal
- Remove the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane.Figure 2. M.2 drive removal
- Press both sides of the retainer 1.
- Slide the retainer backward to loosen the M.2 drive from the M.2 backplane.NoteIf the M.2 backplane has two M.2 drives, they will both release outward when you slide the retainer backward.
- Rotate the M.2 drive away from the M.2 backplane.
- Pull it away from the connector 2 at an angle of approximately 30 degrees.
If you are instructed to return the old M.2 backplane or M.2 drive, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.