Remove the rack latches
Use this information to remove the rack latches.
About this task
Read Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Power off the server and disconnect all power cords for this task.NoteIf the rack latches are not assembled with a VGA connector or the front I/O module, you can remove the rack latches without powering off the server.
Prevent exposure to static electricity, which might lead to system halt and loss of data, by keeping static-sensitive components in their static-protective packages until installation, and handling these devices with an electrostatic-discharge wrist strap or other grounding system.
- A video of this procedure is available at YouTube.
- If the server is installed with the security bezel, remove it first. See Remove the security bezel.
- Disconnect the VGA cable, the front-I/O-assembly cable, or both cables from the system board.Note
Figure 1. Disconnecting cables from the system board
If you need to disconnect cables from the system board, disengage all latches or release tabs on cable connectors first. Failing to release the tab before removing the cables will damage the cable sockets on the system board. Any damage to the cable sockets might require replacing the system board.
The connectors on your system board might look different from those in the illustration, but the removal procedure is the same.
Press the release tab to release the connector.
Disengage the connector from the cable socket.
- Remove the screws that secure the cable retainer on the side of the server. Then, remove the cable retainer from the chassis.Figure 2. Cable retainer removal
- On each side of the server, remove the screws that secure the rack latch.Figure 3. Screws removal
- On each side of the server, slide the rack latch forward slightly and then remove the rack latch from the chassis.Figure 4. Rack latch removal
After you finish
If you are instructed to return the defective component, follow all packaging instructions and use any packaging materials that are provided.