Remove the M.2 backplane bracket assembly and drives
Follow instructions in this section to remove the M.2 drive backplane bracket assembly and drives.
About this task
Go over Installation Guidelines to ensure that you work safely.
Turn off the server and peripheral devices and disconnect the power cords and all external cables (see Power off the server).
If the server is installed in a rack, slide the server out on its rack slide rails to gain access to the top cover, or remove the server from the rack.
- Make preparations for this task.
- Disconnect the M.2 cables from the system board.
- Remove the M.2 bracket assembly.Figure 1. Removing the M.2 bracket assembly
- Grasp and pull the captive screw to disengage the backplane bracket.
- Slightly slide the backplane bracket backward.
- Pivot the rear end of the backplane bracket assembly away from the expansion tray to remove it.
- Remove the drives.Figure 2. Removing M.2 drives from the backplane
- Pinch and hold on the retainer clip.
- Remove the retainer clip.
- Pivot the rear side of the M.2 drives away from the backplane.
- Remove the M.2 drives.
After this task is completed
If you are instructed to return the component or optional device, follow all packaging instructions, and use any packaging materials for shipping that are supplied to you.
- If you plan to recycle the component:
- Remove the M.2 backplane from the bracket.Figure 3. Removing the M.2 backplane from the bracket
- Loosen the captive screw with a screwdriver to disengage the M.2 backplane from the bracket.
- Slightly slide the backplane forward, and remove it from the bracket.
- Loosen the captive screw that secures the cable with a screwdriver, and disconnect the cable from the backplane.Figure 4. Disconnecting the cable from the M.2 backplane
- Recycle the component in compliance with local regulations.
- Remove the M.2 backplane from the bracket.